How hard is it to have your photographs published at 1x.com? The short answer is: Hard. The long answer: It depends. I haven’t found much online about this topic, other than a few forum threads, so I thought I would discuss it in detail.
First of all, let me state, this post is meant to be educational in nature. I am not complaining or putting down 1x.com. It is a great site with incredible photography. Instead, I am trying to let people know how difficult it can be to have your photos accepted because it is not uncommon to have your photos rejected. I was a little surprised at first that the photographs I was submitting were being rejected since they have had success on other websites, and/or won awards from juried competitions. Based on my conversations with other photographers, an acceptance rate of 10%-30% is not uncommon at 1x.com.
To date I have submitted 10 photographs and only had 1 accepted (10%). Admittedly, 10 photos is a very small sample to be talking about statistics. It is however enough to get my point across. I will continue to submit photos to 1x.com, and will have a follow up article once I reach 20 photographs.
For first 10 images submitted, I made a conscious effort to upload a variety of photographs to see what might fair better. (6 colour, 3 black & white, & 1 duotone. 2 were HDR, 6 urban, 3 nature, & 1 self portrait). Below you can see the photos I submitted and whether they were accepted or rejected.
So what can you do to improve your chances of having your photos accepted?
- Send photographs to critique before submitting them for screening. You can gain valuable feed back from other members
- In my opinion, photographs that have a storytelling element to them tend to fair better
- The technicals aspects of your photograph should be top notch (exposure, colour, contrast, focus, etc)
- Black & White and/or moody photographs appear to be favoured
- Don’t be afraid to re-edit and re-submit photographs
- Just because you do well with your photographs on one website, doesn’t mean they will do well on others. Different websites have different tastes.
Can it be frustrating having your photographs rejected? Yes. Is it worth it to keep trying? Absolutely. One of the great aspects of 1x is that if your photo does get accepted, you get a lot of exposure (no pun intended). The one photo I have had accepted received 30,000+ views within a week or two. I don’t know of any other sites that can garner those kind of views.
Best of luck with your submissions!